IHA's 2019 legislative priorities include:
- Renewal of the hospital assessment fee (HAF) for two years
- Raising the cigarette tax, both for public health reasons and as a way to mitigate financial pressures on the HAF. IHA, as part of the Alliance for a Healthier Indiana, will be advocating for an increase of $2 per pack of cigarettes.
IHA also wishes to pass a framework for hospital licensure and move the INSPECT (the state's prescription drug monitoring program) statute out of the criminal code and under the Professional Licensing Agency. In addition, IHA anticipates working on the following issues this session:
- Medicaid Managed Care reforms
- Passage of Nurse Licensure Compact
- Various infant mortality initiatives
We look forward to receiving continued feedback from members about our shared legislative priorities in 2019.