Together, we can reduce inpatient harm and readmissions.
The Health Research and Educational Trust (HRET) Hospital Improvement Innovation Network (HIIN) is comprised of more than 1,600 hospitals, including more than 100 from Indiana, and 32 state hospital associations nationwide. The overarching goal of the HIIN is to decrease inpatient harm by 20 percent and readmissions by 12 percent by 2019.
Sound ambitious? It is. But IHA believes it is a goal that hospitals can achieve. In fact, from 2010 to 2015, the
AHRQ reported an estimated 125,000 fewer patients deaths in the hospital and approximately $28 billion in health care costs saved. These reductions occurred during hospital's concerted efforts to reduce adverse events under the Hospital Engagement Network (HEN and HEN 2.0), the precursor to the HIIN.
By participating in the HIIN, hospitals can build upon the positive momentum of HEN and HEN 2.0 to make hospitals and patients safer everyday. Hospitals participating in HIIN will receive access to technical assistance, educational opportunities, training, resources and learning collaboration in the following areas:
- Adverse drug events (ADEs)
- Airway safety
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs)
- Central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs)
- Clostridium difficile infections (C. diff or CDIs)
- Culture of safety
- Diagnostic Errors
- Health care disparities
- Iatrogenic delirium
- Injuries from falls and immobility
- Malnutrition in the inpatient setting
- Multidrug-resistant organisms (MRSA)
- Person and family engagement (PFE)
- Pressure ulcers
- Radiation exposure
- Surgical site infections (SSIs)
- Venous thromboembolisms (VTEs)
- Ventilator-associated events (VAEs)
- Worker safety
Monthly HIIN Calls
On the first Tuesday of each month, the Indiana Patient Safety Center (IPSC) conducts a monthly call for our participating HIIN hospitals. These calls will cover a wide range of HIIN-related topics including: HIIN news, harm topics, success stories, data, upcoming events, and what the IPSC can do to help you be successful. If you would like the login information for these monthly calls, please email Casey Hutchens.
November 2019 HIIN Monthly Call - view slides here and listen below- The call focused on:
- HIIN Option Period 4 Data Submission Expectations
- Patient and Family Engagement
- Prevent Patient Harm Topics
- SSI Prevention
- Sepsis Across the Continuum
- Falls Rewind
- How Will You Tell Your Story?
For more information and additional resources regarding HIIN, email Karin Kennedy or visit the HIIN website.
For information on the previous version of the HIIN initiative, HEN 2.0 visit our HEN 2.0 site.
Data Submission Schedule Now Available
In an effort to assist you in your data needs, IHA has created a data submission schedule. Please view the schedule and add the dates to your calendar. If you have any questions, your IHA key contact will be happy to help.
View our HIIN Improvement Calculator Demo Webinar slides here and the recording of the webinar here.