Together, we can reduce inpatient harm and readmissions.
The Health Research and Educational Trust (HRET) Hospital Improvement Innovation Network (HIIN) is comprised of more than 1,600 hospitals, including more than 100 from Indiana, and 32 state hospital associations nationwide. The overarching goal of the HIIN is to decrease inpatient harm by 20 percent and readmissions by 12 percent by 2019.
Sound ambitious? It is. But IHA believes it is a goal that hospitals can achieve. In fact, from 2010 to 2015, the
AHRQ reported an estimated 125,000 fewer patients deaths in the hospital and approximately $28 billion in health care costs saved. These reductions occurred during hospital's concerted efforts to reduce adverse events under the Hospital Engagement Network (HEN and HEN 2.0), the precursor to the HIIN.
By participating in the HIIN, hospitals can build upon the positive momentum of HEN and HEN 2.0 to make hospitals and patients safer everyday. Hospitals participating in HIIN will receive access to technical assistance, educational opportunities, training, resources and learning collaboration in the following areas:
- Adverse drug events (ADEs)
- Airway safety
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs)
- Central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs)
- Clostridium difficile infections (C. diff or CDIs)
- Culture of safety
- Diagnostic Errors
- Health care disparities
- Iatrogenic delirium
- Injuries from falls and immobility
- Malnutrition in the inpatient setting
- Multidrug-resistant organisms (MRSA)
- Person and family engagement (PFE)
- Pressure ulcers
- Radiation exposure
- Surgical site infections (SSIs)
- Venous thromboembolisms (VTEs)
- Ventilator-associated events (VAEs)
- Worker safety
For more information and additional resources regarding HIIN, email Karin Kennedy or visit the HIIN website.
For information on the previous version of the HIIN initiative, HEN 2.0 visit our HEN 2.0 site.
Data Submission Schedule Now Available
In an effort to assist you in your data needs, IHA has created a data submission schedule. Please view the schedule and add the dates to your calendar. If you have any questions, your IHA key contact will be happy to help.